One of my favorite all-time favorite sauce, dressing and dip is none other than Hemp Chive! This creamy versatile dressing is well-suited for many dishes such as steamed veggies, a dip for rice cakes, or to mix in with your Quinoa and rice bowls. Hemp seeds are mainly farmed and grown in the province of Manitoba; they are a rich source of Omega-3’s, including GLA-which is an important EFA for inflammation, skin health and hormone balance. Hemp seeds are also an excellent source of an alkaline protein that is more bio-available for the body-meaning your body will absorb all of the protein leaving nothing to waste. I hope you enjoy this simple yet delicious recipe… love to have your feedback and comments. 🙂
- ¼-1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup water
- Green Onions – chopped
- Bunch of fresh dill
- Fresh parsley
- Hemp seeds – 3 scoops
- Garlic powder ( or 1 clove)
- Sea Salt
- Cayenne pepper
Add all ingredients except hemp seeds and water to a food processor or blender > blend until liquid > add in hemp seeds- blend > then slowly add water until well blended/ processed.
**This dressing will thicken over night in fridge. You can add more water (for watery dressing-or more hemp seeds for a thick dip)
3 Unhealthy Ingredients to Avoid in Your Foods
I am a self-confessed ingredient junkie when it comes to reading labels in all my foods and products alike. If I’ve never tried a type of food before (or skin care product), one of the first things I do is – read the labels. Even if I know the food, I will still read the label, just to make sure nothing has changed in the ingredients list (as it can sometimes-when a company uses a cheaper ingredient). Does anybody else do this? For many years now I have been meticulously doing this, often being made ‘fun of’ because I was “picky”. Well now that I am a Holistic Nutritionist, I will say that my meticulousness has served me well, and I am grateful to have this knowledge so I can pass it along to share with you.
What are the 3 Main Unhealthy Ingredients?
- Poor Quality Fats & Oils – most of the commercially made snacks and foods in today’s grocery stores have bad Fats in them. For example; have you ever gone to buy a few healthy items such as rice chips, crackers, ready-made dinner sauces, or even baked goods; only to see that the main oil used is Canola Oil? Canola oil is one of the most commonly used oil in commercially made foods. If it is NOT refined or GMO, then it is a better quality; however this particular oil is mainly refined , rancid and GMO. Avoid Hydrogenated and Refined oils they are carcinogenic!
Look For These Oils Instead –
- First Cold-Pressed Organic Olive Oil
- Sunflower / Safflower
All oils should be Unrefined, Organic, and Cold-pressed where possible. Consuming the ‘bad’ oils can contribute to accelerated aging, damaged and weakened immunity.
- Refined Sugar – sugar is in everything, and by everything I mean (once again), most typical foods, condiments in our store-bought items. This includes salad dressings, sauces, cereals, drinks, baked goods (obviously) and more. Sugar causes an acid condition to form which consumes the body’s minerals quickly; calcium is lost-causing bone problems; other problems refined sugar may cause are weakened digestion system, dental cavities, blood-sugar imbalances, contributes to disease & unhappiness (sugar feeds sadness!)
There is much damage that the over-consumption of refined sugar can have on our body’s and mind; Avoid anything with Fructose-Brown Sugar-Turbinado Sugar, Maltodextrin and chemical sweeteners-Splenda.
Use These Types of Natural Sweeteners Instead –
- Brown Rice Syrup
- Barley Malt
- Unrefined Stevia
- Unrefined Cane Juice Powder
- Maple Syrup
- Coconut Sap / Sweetener
- Chemicals in Foods – we’ve all seen those ingredient list names that are hard to pronounce. Besides refined oils and sugars chemicals in our food is another toxic set of ingredients to watch out for. It is the chemicals that can damage much more than we know. Chemical additives such as Food Dye’s, Artificial Colours, Ethyl Alcohol, Sulfates, Nitrates, BHA, Sodium Phosphates and Pesticides. Contaminants used in packaging may pose a danger as well so keep this in mind when using plastic bottles, cans and boxed items. These chemicals in foods will contribute to; an over-loaded liver, disrupt the Endocrine System, accelerate aging, headaches, cancer, skin reactions/ allergies and neurotoxins (plus many more aliments).
Natural Flavor Enhancements –
- Non-Irradiated Herbs & Spices- garlic, dill, onion, basil, chilies, parsley
- Natural Fruit Oils
- Natural Sweeteners
- Himalayan Sea Salt
- Natural Sweeteners (see above)
- Lemon / Lime
- Natural Organic fruits ( fresh/ dried) – no sulfates added
- Raw Cacao
May this blog inspire you to read your labels more, and to motivate you to choose wisely-the foods we put into our bodies. With more of us choosing the Holistic Healthy Lifestyle, we are the ones who can make a difference in supporting the Organic Industry! J